Problems building stand-alone gdb stub for ARM AEB board

Hi

I have designed a board that uses the LH77790, the same chip that is on
the ARM AEB.  I am now trying to build a gdb stub, first trying it on
the AEB.  After going through the following steps:

    Create new target: awt60
    Edit: hal_arm_awt60.cdl
    Add CPU initialization code to: hal_platform_setup.h
    Edit to match memory layout: mlt_arm_awt60_r*m.h/ldi
    Build stub: ecosconfig new awt60 stubs
                ecosconfig tree
                make
    Burn into PROM: gdb_module.bin

When I powerup the board, with minicom connected, I get:

    AWT60 eCos
    +$T050f:e8140004;0d:601f0000;#50
(the first time I saw that I popped a virtual bottle of champagne)

But an attempt to connect with gdb failed with the the error message:

    Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
    Ignoring packet error, continuing...
    Ignoring packet error, continuing...
    Ignoring packet error, continuing...
    Couldn't establish connection to remote target
    Malformed response to offset query, timeout

I have been sending commands manually to the stub (very, very
tedious!!).

    me:   $d#64  -- request stub version
    stub: eCos GDB stubs - built Sep 29 2000 / 13:15:23#1c

so the stub is responding to this and other commands correctly, I can
read and write memory, check and set registers but commands like "query
offset" ($qOffsets#4b) just get an empty packet ($#00) in reply.

Does any body know where I should go from here, I'm stumped?

TIA

--
Ormund