Re: GDB Download on i386 target hangs

Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch> writes:

> >Well, I just ran it and it worked perfectly. Excerpt below: [..snip..]
>
> hmm, now I'm really confused. At least my toolchain is set up right. Maybe
> it's really a hardware problem. I'will check on an other pc.

Yes, that's the next obvious step.

> >So, it looks like a hardware problem. What exactly is your hardware
> >setup? One thought is that the tools by default probably build for a
> >Pentium class machine. You may need to add a compiler option if you
> >are running on a 386 or 486.
>
> Currently I'm running on a Pentium-I 166 (no MMX), 64Mb EDO-RAM, Type
> Digital Celebris GL-5166ST. Since a have some other boxes around, I will
> try to run it on another PC.

That hardware should be fine. If you have other makes of PC around,
try one of those.

> My target system will probably be a 486 single board computer.
> What compiler switches would this require?

I'm not entirely sure, and it may not even be necessary if my reading
of the documentation is correct. Take a look at the GCC docs for the
i386 specific stuff. Adding "-march=i486" to the compile flags should
be safe, however.

> Could it be, that my made a configuration mistake, when building the bootdisk?
>
> Here my commands:
>
> ecosconfig new pc stubs
> ecosconfig tree
> make
>
> Should be ok, right?

Yep, that's correct. The fact that you can download the executable
shows that this has been built correctly.

If you are still having problems with other PCs, perhaps the next step
is for me to send you an executable I built here, and seen whether
that runs for you.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK