Re: CVS updates announcement ?

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Fabrice> Would this be possible to have CVS commit annoucements
>     Fabrice> sent to a list (this one or another) ?
>
> Sure, try ecos-cvs@sources.redhat.com. You can subscribe at
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/intouch.html
>
>     Fabrice> I know cvs can automatically send such reports, and i
>     Fabrice> think the way the public eCos cvs is managed is well
>     Fabrice> suited for such report to be usefull. ( This would be 5
>     Fabrice> or 6 report per month, not 1 message per each change you
>     Fabrice> make on your internal cvs)
>
> The information is not quite as useful as you might think. The only
> revision information currently in the anonymous CVS tree is that we
> have done another import from the internal tree. You get to find out
> which files have changed but not why - for that you would have to
> consult the changelogs.
>
> You will also get messages whenever a new directory is created, so
> when we add a new package or set of packages there tend to be quite a
> lot of messages instead of just one. I have not looked into CVS to see
> whether or not it is possible to improve this.

It has to be said that the way we are using CVS, the ecos-cvs list is not
very useful. The only use it really has is letting someone know (by
spamming them :)) that another update has taken place. Although it also
tells you what files are affected, without change information you have no
idea whether it was something that fixed up whitespace or rewrote the file
:-).

I could easily add something to the checkin script that mails ecos-cvs (or
ecos-discuss, but preferably not) when an update has happened. The
cognoscenti on ecos-cvs could simply filter out the other mail except for
this message.

If I added a list of the new/dead/changed files to this message, perhaps we
should even not send the actual cvs commit info to ecos-cvs at all!

I could even send the diffs of any changed ChangeLogs in a separate
message.

Opinions?