Re: ecos-discuss Digest 14 Nov 2000 05:53:11 -0000 Issue 363

> From: "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com>
> To: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>
> Subject: Re: [ECOS] Re: Help building gcc for ARM under Cygwin?
>
> Hi Fano,
>
> >I have installed eCos (arm-elf) on a windows host twice with no problems
> >(I sometimes had to run some step twice before it works properly). Once on
> >WindowsNT4.d once on
> >Windows95.
>
> How did you get it working under Win95? The install instructions
> specifically state that it doesn't work in Win9x.

You're right I also noticed this statement on the installation document, but
I tried anyway. As the installation succeeded I assumed that the statement
hold for previous versions of eCos.

> >The cygwin version I've finally used was downloaded from
> >ludique.u-bourgogne.fr mirror.
>
> Ummm... but what version was it? By definition, a mirror site is a mirror -
> it is updated when the main download site is updated.

As I couldn't download the official cygwin net distribution, I had to find
one on the mirror. I found that only the components of cygwin (ash, bash, binutils...)
have "official" version numbers (see the setup.ini file).

> >gcc-core-2.95.2.tar.bz2
> >gcc-g++-2.95.2.tar.bz2
>
> But gcc 2.95.2 doesn't support thumb-elf according to the eCos install
> instructions. The chip I am using is ARM720T (Cirrus Logic EP7212). Can I
> run arm-elf binaries on an ARM720T??

I didn't install the thumb-elf version but the arm-elf version.
We use Cirrus Logic EP7212 with ARM720T too. Cirrus Logic can ship you
a CDROM with eCos. You can find the info on one of their application note
available on their WEB site http://www.cirrus.com
AN191 : Using eCos on the EP72XX Development Boards.
It will help you a lot.

Fano Ramparany