Re: How do you like eCos

>I personaly have not found the documentation too bad. Its terse, but
>just about all there. Comming from a Unix background, man pages etc,
>im used to it and like it.

It's not just that the documentation is terse, but it is scattered across
many unrelated documents and is _always_ out of date because of version
creep between components. Actually this is the same complaint I have about
Linux also - too many things are built on a fragile structure of
incremental patches. If you have been following something ever since it was
an early beta, and you have downloaded every +0.001 patch, then what you
have will match the latest readme file (which you won't need anyway because
you are an expert). But if you are a new user, then you will get
documentation version 1.200 that points you to a site where you can only
download software version 1.305 with a readme file that describes only
changes between version 1.304 and 1.305. The installation instructions for
1.200 will not work for the 1.305 version. Also the developers will forget
to mention that between 1.300 and 1.301 they upgraded some other component
on their system, and that this upgrade is mandatory.

Maybe lurking on some mirror site in deepest Transylvania is an old
snapshot that has actual documentation matching product, but finding this
is harder than finding the holy grail.

It's very frustrating for new developers. If I ever get to understand this
enough to get it working properly, I will try to develop a "real" getting
started document including actual snapshots of working sources and tools.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Got any Commodore 16 or VIC-20 hardware, cartridges, tapes?
Visit http://www.larwe.com/vintage/
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/