Re: A hello world problem

>Linux. Having said that im supprised to see the DigiOS_ bit. My
>directories are always without such a prefix. Its a long time since i
>read the instructions. Does it suggest you give the ecc config file a
>name such as DigiOS? Mine is always ecos.ecc.

Well, no - the save as dialog specified "Untitled.ecc" and so I typed
DigiOS. Not a big deal.

>arm-elf-gcc -g -I\ARMDigi\ecos_work\DigiOS_install\include hello.c -L
>\ARMDigi\ecos_work\DigiOS_install\lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib
>
>Note the arm-elf-gcc not gcc. Without that it may still use the native
>compiler.

With your method above, what happens when gcc calls the assembler and
linker? I guess (or rather worry) that it will just call 'as' or 'ld' and
then would hit the native ones, which is why I put the /arm-elf/bin dir at
the head of the path.

Why does the gcc build process make two copies of the tools anyway, with
different names? (one set in /[host]/bin has names starting with the
target, eg arm-elf-gcc, the other set is in /[host]/[target]/shortnames,
e.g. /[host]/arm-elf/gcc). Baffling.

>See if that makes any difference? The other thing to check is the way

The only difference is that this time I can't use the scroll lock key to
pause the output. Same errors. My command line isn't quite the same as
yours though, since '/' is not the root directory of the drive. It's the
same as yours except instead of /ARMDigi it is /c/ARMDigi.

hello.c is just cut and pasted from the tutorial :

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("test\n");
return 0;
}

>you have the file systems mounted. Some bits have to be mounted text
>mode and other binary. Since i unix with grown up line endings i never

All my mount points are binmode. All my files should have UNIX EOL
conventions... or what? The docs only talk about being careful that object
paths are mounted binary, they don't say that certain paths need to be
textmode!

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/