Re: GDB Stub and Redboot

Anthony Massa wrote:

> I noticed that there are redboot images under the MBX source tree.  Is
> redboot supported on the MBX platform?

Yep.

> I want to be able to have GDB access to my MBX board to use the debugger.  I
> would like to connect to the
> board using the Ethernet port so I can have the serial port available for my
> own I/O.  Do I build the GDB stub
> and add the redboot package or is it an either or type of thing?

It's sort of an either or thing. Redboot includes a GDB stub.

> If it is a choice of either redboot or GDB, what packages do I need to add
> for networking support under GDB?
>
> What additional packages do I need to add for networking support in redboot?

You should be able to get what you want either by just installing the
prebuilt images, or:

ecosconfig new mbx redboot
ecosconfig import
PATHTOREPOSITORY/hal/powerpc/mbx/current/misc/redboot_ROM.cfg
ecosconfig tree
make

This will generate an image under install/bin suitable for loading into
ROM.
You can use one suitable for loading into RAM by using redboot_RAM.cfg.
This could be used if you already have GDB stubs on the board, since you
can then load redboot as a RAM program, and use it to write the ROM image
into flash! However this isn't for the faint-hearted in the absence of
decent documentation, so I'd recommend you just install it just as you
installed the GDB stub.

There's some admittedly incomplete documentation at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/redboot.2.html