Re: SNMP data available in 1.0b1 stack?

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 05:38:06PM +0000, Hugo Tyson wrote:

> > I've read somewhere that the current version of the TCP/IP
> > stack includes optional SNMP support.  While I do not currently
> > need to support SNMP, I do need to provide a significant subset
> > of the same data via a web page.
> >
> > Is that data tucked away somewhere in the 1.0b1 stack, or will
> > I need to update to a newer version of the stack?
>
> I would go with whatever is the latest - Jifl?  What's anoncvs
> status?

That's under consideration.  However, it involves a significant
amount of work.  We're currently shipping product using 1.3.1
and 1.0b1.  If I want to switch to a newer version, I either
have to switch over existing products [requiring a bunch of
rebuilding, testing, ECOs, etc.] or maintain two eCos systems
in parallel.  One of these days I'll probably bite the bullet
and upgrade things, but for now I'm taking the path of least
resistance.

> For clarification about SNMP, the SNMP agent and library
> packages are distributed in a separate EPK, that you add to the
> repository along with the net+logical ether driver EPK.

One of these days I'll need to add that, but right now they're
wanting web-based stuff more than they want SNMP.

> The data is indeed tucked away somewhere in the network stack,
> in fact the OpenBSD sources are already "SNMP friendly" to coin
> a phrase, in that the various protocol or layer handlers
> support statistics structures that are just what you want.

That's the answer I was hoping for!

> For example, from the TCP MIB support code as collected
> straight from UCD, if I remember correctly:
>
>     case TCPACTIVEOPENS:
>         long_ret = tcpstat.tcps_connattempt;
>         return (unsigned char *) &long_ret;

Cool.

> ./include/net/if_pppvar.h:      struct  pppstat sc_stats;
> ./include/netinet/icmp_var.h:struct     icmpstat {
> ./include/netinet/icmp_var.h:struct     icmpstat icmpstat;
> ./include/netinet/igmp_var.h:struct igmpstat {
> ./include/netinet/igmp_var.h:struct igmpstat igmpstat;
> ./include/netinet/ip_var.h:struct       ipstat {
> ./include/netinet/ip_var.h:struct         ipstat ipstat;
> ./include/netinet/tcp_var.h:struct      tcpstat {
> ./include/netinet/tcp_var.h:struct      tcpstat tcpstat;
> ./include/netinet/udp_var.h:struct      udpstat {
> ./include/netinet/udp_var.h:struct      udpstat udpstat;

Thanks much!

That's far more detail than I was expecting in an answer.  I'd
have been happy to figure out where the data were on my own,
but I was hoping somebody could tell they existed before I
started the search.

You've probably saved me an afternoon's work.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com