[porting] web page widths

First I'd like to compliment you guys on the nice clean HTML
used on your web pages.  That said, there is one minor thing
thing that bugs me -- but from what I know about HTML there
isn't much that can be done about it:

I've notced that the minimum width of the right hand column of
the web pages (white background with text) is set by the width
of any <pre></pre> sections (usually containing souce code
examples). On some pages those examples contain long lines,
resulting in tables where the normal (non-preformatted)
paragraphs have very long lines that don't wrap to fit
reasonable window widths. The user has to scroll left/right to
read the text.

I don't mind scrolling back and forth to see pre-formatted
source examples, but it would be nice if the normal paragaphs
wrapped to fit inside the browser window. Unfortunately, I
can't think of any suggestions on how to generate HTML that
would act that way, since the min column width is determined by
the widest object it contains. Arbitrarily wrapping source code
examples would be a bad idea, since it would make them harder
to understand. Changing to a smaller font size for fixed-width
text helps somewhat.

Like I said it's a minor problem, and I don't think there's
much that can be done about it...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com