Re: More RedBoot questions

> >  1) Does RedBoot require RAM that is preserved by the user
> >  application, or can RedBoot's bss/data/stack segments get
> >  clobbered by the user app?
>
> If you are not going to use RedBoot at all (including for any
> virtual vectors), then you can just clobber it. Of course you
> can't actually make your application use that memory by
> changing the memory layout to put sections there - when RedBoot
> loads the app, obviously it can't overwrite itself then!

I could put non-loadable sections like stack and bss on top of
RedBoot's RAM as long as I don't let my app call any of the
RedBoot system calls (virtual vectors).

> >     If I want to do gdb debugging of eCos apps via RedBoot, where
> >     are the gdb stubs located -- RedBoot or the eCos app?
>
> Strictly either :-). With virtual vector support, the gdb stubs
> can stay in redboot if you like. But if you include stubs in
> your app, those stubs should be used instead if present. That's
> the intention anyway - we have had a few glitches in some HALs
> trying to get this right.

I'll probably try to use RedBoot to start with, but since
RedBoot is probably not going to be field-upgradable, I have to
have the option of making the eCos app completely stand alone.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com