GDB simulator target?

How useful is the GDB simulator target? I have mine configured for the
arm-elf target, but to do anything useful (I/O or use the peripherals), the
simulator needs to know processor-specific things like control registers,
not just the generic ARM core.

For example, if a printf requires outputting data to the UART, will the
simulator know which registers to write to? If I need to check status
registers, say, to see if the UART FIFO is empty or full, does the simulator
change those registers to reflect the state of a simulated FIFO?

Thanks,
Paul