Re: Networkdebugging on i386

At 15:49 01.02.01 +0000, Jesper Skov wrote:

>Christian> I'm mainly interessted in debugging remotely via
>Christian> ethernet. RedBoot should give me that option, does it?
>
>I believe there is contributed RedBoot support for x86. But I don't
>know if it's available for download. Check through the archives.

Yes, as far as I know yet, Fabrice Gautier's patches should provide RedBoot
support for x86.

I saw an older posting of you, dating from January, 5th, where you (Jesper)
announced to add virtual vector support to x86 target.

Jifl was working on including the Gautier patches into the official eCos
cvs tree. What is the status of that work?

>Christian> So, did anybody manage to build RedBoot for i386? I suppose
>Christian> it needs some work in the "obscure" virtual vector code
>Christian> (what ever this is, I could not figure out this yet...)
>
>Obscure? :)  Did you read this:
>http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-calling-if.html
>
>Granted, it needs updating as I've just made some changes today. And
>it could do with a short primer on _why_ we need the virtual vectors,
>not just what they are. That'll all come in due course.

Thanks for this hint. I wasnt aware that the porting documents describe how
this redboot stuff works. I will read through this and than I will
reconsider if it is "obscure" or not :-)

Christian

--
Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>