Re: object format conversion

    Li> Hi,all

    Li> I have a SuperTAP 386EX emulator with CAD-UL XDB debugger. And
    Li> I want to run eCos based 386EX platform.

    Li> As a new comer to ecos,the HAL porting is very difficult to
    Li> me.

    Li> Then I want to compile ecos source and applications using GNU
    Li> complier and debug them using CAD-UL XDB and SuperTAP. But gcc
    Li> generated ELF/a.out/COFF object file format ,and CAD-UL link
    Li> tool produced OMF386 format. Is there any tool that can
    Li> implement this conversion? Any advices to my development will
    Li> be appreciated.

eCos has a number of dependencies on the GNU tools, including the
linker. Specifically it requires support for constructor priority
ordering, and it is very desirable for the linker to support
section-based garbage collection as well. See
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/faq.html#porting_compiler for more
details.

This is all relatively straightforward when using the ELF format, but
some older formats are incapable of containing the relevant
information. I do not know the details of OMF386 or the CAD-UL tools,
so I cannot comment further on those. Ideally you would use gdb for
debugging purposes, but you would have to check with the gdb folks and
the emulator manufacturers to find out whether or not anybody has
contributed the appropriate code so that gdb can interact with the
SuperTAP.

Bart