RE: Re : RE: porting ecos...

On 25-Feb-2001 ±èÀç¿ë wrote:
> I send you this mail personally because nobody but you answered my
> question. so
> please forgive me

Please use the mailing lists.  In general, we don't have time to respond
personally.

>>Firstly, for the Cirrus Logic board you mention, no porting is required
>>at all as this is one of the platforms we support.
>
> What do you mean no porting is required this board? I think I have to
> port(download) ecos to this board. and you said no porting is required. why
> no
> porting is required? to tell the truth I even don't know concept of
> porting, so
> please explain me easily

"Porting" is the process of writing the base code for a piece of hardware.
That process has already taken place for this board.  This means that if
you get the latest sources from our web site, then all you should have to
do is build an application and it will run.  For the provided examples and
test programs, nothing more than compiling them will be required.  Of course,
you will have to write your own program/application, whatever that may be.

>> Secondly, you would be much better off by using the eCos sources from
>> anonymous CVS.  See http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html
>
> I have download ecos-1.3.1 from
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/install-linux.html
> is it different?

The 'install-linux.html' tells you how to install eCos and the tools on
a Linux system from the 1.3.1 package.  However, that package is quite
old and you will be better served by getting the very latest sources
which are only available via anonymous CVS.  Read the 'anoncvs.html'
document for the details.

>>Once you've obstained the latest sources and installed both the sources
>>and the tools on your system (I assume that you are using Linux for
>>your development host, based on your references above) then you can
>>create an eCos kernel for your board.  Once you have a kernel, then
>>you build and run applications on the board by downloading them using
>>GDB.
>
> How can I create eCos kernel for my board? there were no explanation on
> this
> neither in redhat Web site nor in document in eCos Package
> Please explain me easily... with command and argument.
> and after creating eCos kernel, should I download it to the board?
>
>>This whole process is rather fully explained in the eCos "Getting
>>Started Guide" and hardware installation notes.  The full text is
>>available from our web site at:
>>  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs.html

A complete, step by step, guide is available in the Getting Started document.

> I have already examined the document and document is somewhat difficult and
> hard to understand and insufficient
> there was nothing on creating kernel.
> so please help me.
> Your answer can help me much

I hope I have helped.  However, please use the mailing list (ecos-discuss).
Mail sent to my personal address will be ignored.