Re: RedBoot/GDB-stub questions

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:22:18AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

> >> For non-standalone (i.e. "normal" applications), 'us_delay' is
> >> normally defined to use the standard system timer.  Can't you
> >> do this as well?
> >
> > Sure.  I don't have a delay routine currently (except for
> > RedBoot).
>
> But you will have a timer, thus make us_delay() be based on it.

Yes -- I've got a hardware timer that I use to generate 10ms
interrupts, and I can use that.  I haven't so far: none of my
eCos apps use a busy-wait microsecond delay routine, so I had
never had one until I added RedBoot to the picture.

> > OK. Is it possible to have RedBoot and the application use one
> > IP address and GDB stubs use a different one?
>
> RedBoot == GDB stubs

I thought maybe I could assign one IP address to the console
interface (and my other TCP stuff) and a second one to the GDB
stubs.  If not, I'll concentrate on trying to get serial
debugging working.  If they find serial too slow, then I'll
tell them to buy a JTAG interface.

> Because of the above (RedBoot == GDB stubs), I don't see any way
> to do debugging and have your application also use the network
> with the same IP address.  At least not today.

It's serial or JTAG then.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com