Re: Porting to H8S

    >> > Another thing that I saw is that the GNUPro tools not supports
    >> > ELF with the H8. Is this a problem?
    >>
    >> That is likely to be a problem. Some of the compiler/linker
    >> functionality that eCos uses, e.g. constructor priority
    >> ordering, are relatively easy when using ELF image format but
    >> not with older formats.

    Hansi> Is the problem for a to old implementation of the compiler
    Hansi> or is the problem inside the COFF format. Do you think that
    Hansi> there is a way to make an port to the H8S?

The problem is with COFF format. Things like constructor priority
ordering and linker garbage collection are implemented using large
numbers of linker sections. Older image formats like a.out and COFF
limit the number of linker sections you can have, ELF does not. To
port eCos to the H8 it would probably be easiest to implement ELF
support in the compiler and binutils first, rather than try to modify
eCos to work around tool limitations. For more information on what
might be involved, see the binutils and gcc projects on
sources.redhat.com.

Bart