RE: RedBoot: supporting netmask/gateway

On 16-Mar-2001 Grant Edwards wrote:

> Adding netmask/gateway support to RedBoot is now on my official
> list of things to do.  I guess if you're goint to screw up a
> device configuration to the point where it won't talk to you at
> all, you certainly want to be able to do it from 10000 miles
> away. ;)
>
> Supporting netmask/gateway probably means jumping from vanilla
> BOOTP to DHCP in order to get a netmask value.  I might
> fall-back to plain BOOTP and calculate the netmask based on the
> IP address.
>
> If anybody is already doing gateway support for RedBoot (or has
> suggestions) yell now.

I think you're in for a considerable amount of work.  If you're up
to it I applaud you :-)

Besides adding the handling for gateways, routing and possibly even
packet forwarding, you'll need to add IP fragmentation and better
TCP window support.  The [very simple] stack in RedBoot has none
of these.

You might get away with a slimmed down package if you know that there
is always a router/gateway nearby and you convince it to not hand
you anything ugly.