ethernet driver for ne2000

Hi Everybody

Although ne2000 ISA network cards are obsolete today, they are still
widespread and many ethernet enabled embedded systems base on the Realtek
Chipset 8019(AS).

As you might have read some time ago, we - a friend and me - were workting
on a ecos driver for ne2000 compatible network cards in particular for the
i386 target.

We managed to create a driver for ecos which adds support for ISA network
adapters that base on the Reltek 8019AS chipset. Maybe other ne2000 clones
will work as well, but this was not tested. The driver seems to work fine,
but it is not extensively tested yet.

Many people did ask us, when we will release the driver. Unfortunately due
to other work neither of us has time to continue work on this driver. So we
decided to release this "beast" to public, hoping that anybody will take
care of it. We would be very glad, if anybody of the ecos community would
take care of the further development of this driver. This will give a lot
of users of the i386 target the chance, to experiment with ecos networking
capabilities.

As the driver is quite small I attached it directly to this posting. Using
the following instructions, you should be able to integrate into the
ecos-cvs version.

Greetings,
Christian

Installation instructions:

To use the ne2000 driver for ecos you need to have a ne2000 compatible isa
network card. The driver targets cards based on the Realtek RTL8019AS
chip set, other card may work, but were never tested. Make sure to set
the card to fixed IO-address and IRQ by using jumpers since no plug-and-pray
is supported currently. Dont forget to set the appropriate ethernet medium
settings (BNC, 10BASE-T,..) too.

IMPORTANT: You have to use ecos-cvs version!

1) Copy ne2000.tgz to $ECOS_REPOSITORY

2) Untar ne2000.tgz using tar xzf ne2000.tgz
    This should put the ne2000 driver files to the right place in your
    ecos directory tree

3) Open ecos.db with your favourite texteditor and add the content of
    addto.ecos.db to it. You may add it to an appropriate place, e.g.
    just before  package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_CF.

4) change the file:

     $ECOS_REPOSITORY/devs/eth/ne2000/current/src/ne2000_drv.c

    to your settings for iobase and irq by changing the

      #define NE2000_IOBASE 0x300  <---- put your iobase here
      #define NE2000_IRQ        3  <---- put your irq here

    lines.

5) Now you should be able to build ecos with ne2000 support, by using:
    ecosconfig new pc net
    ecosconfig add ne2000
    ecosconfig check
    ecosconfig tree
    make

6) For checking wether the driver works, you may enable the build of the
    network test and run some of these tcpip network tests delivered with
    ecos.

--
Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>

Ne2000.tgz