Re: Building dl_edb7xxx for cygwin?

> > Since I now have to run in WinNT, I can't use the Cirrus flash downloader
> > app to get my ROM-built eCos app onto my board.
>
>They don't provide a flash downloader that works in NT? Poor.

Ummm... remember how much I gripe about cygwin not working properly inside
Win9x? It is SOP for chip vendors not to supply tools for anything other
than DOS, since in DOS you have real hardware access. It so happens that
many of these tools also work inside a DOS box in Win9x. Most of them do
not work inside WinNT and that is why I would like to see cygwin and the
eCos configuration tool work fully inside Win9x. But "whatever"... this is
not my problem right now :)

> > io.c:139: `FIONREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
>I think you may be able to get away with changing CharReady to always
>return 1, at the expense of it being in a busy loop.

This doesn't work, because dl_edb7xxx.c flushes the input queue with:

while (CharReady(lPort))
{
cChar = ReceiveChar(lPort);
}

This code hangs with your suggested change.

If I comment out that "flush input queue" code (it occurs twice in
dl_edb7xxx.c) I get something that looks like it's working but I'm not sure
if it really is (for instance, the "loading code" count doesn't get to 100%
and the board doesn't boot after the download is complete).

Experimenting some more here... will post results.

BTW, I've given up again on trying to build thumb-supporting gcc so I can't
try to reproduce the eCos build error with thumb enabled. The people on the
gcc list don't really know either.

I really do suggest you update the Windows install instructions for eCos to
state that current gcc snapshots can't be compiled in cygwin right now and
therefore the thumb target isn't supported on that dev host... it would
save others the hours of experimentation I've tried.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."