RE: UPnP and Ecos

>Don't you see the correlation between people taking a wait-and-see attitude
>and UPnP losing momentum?

First: Why should I care? _I_ am not trying to sell UPnP. Microsoft is.
UPnP exists for political reasons, as I'm sure you're aware.

>companies aren't committed to? Whether or not it is apparent now, UPnP is a
>Good Thing, and will soon be a necessary thing.

Desktop support? I am talking about an SDK that does not rely on all sorts
of miscellaneous OS support. I am talking about an embedded-friendly SDK
that does not assume Windows CE on the appliance!

UPnP isn't even an "also-ran" at this point, it is a "maybe-ran" and it
will not be necessary for any device that doesn't seek Windows logo
licensing in the foreseeable future. It will be at least 2-3 years before
there is a significant population of products containing UPnP.

For our particular product category, given all the _REAL_ feedback we have
from _REAL_ users (not B.S. marketing studies from people paid to "prove" a
particular result) UPnP is a distraction. It will never be a core feature.
Users are not advanced enough to grasp, let alone use, the utopian ideal of
UPnP. If MS wants to undertake a long re-education process, then good luck
- call me back when it's over and people are actually willing to pay for
the technology.

Further comments off-list please!

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."