Re: Help! on building ecosconfigure

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 19-Apr-2001 Narayana, Venkat A. wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for the reply.After you have pointed out, that my 'ld' is from
> > arm-linux, instead of arm-elf/xscale-elf,i looked at my tools/biin and
> > realised
> > that xscale-elf-gcc => arm-linux-gcc. So, i changed xscale-elf-gcc =>
> > arm-elf-gcc
>
> Note: arm-elf-XXX is not xscale-elf-XXX.  There are differences in the toolchains,
> certainly those required to support the Xscale (aka StrongARM-2) architecture.

I thought that apps built with arm-elf tools would still work though? They
just wouldn't be optimised for xscale.

> > and did a 'make' in my redboot.ROM directory, to build ROM startup files.
> > Guess what!!! It built the binaries!. BUT, after i did 'make clean' and then
> > did
> > 'make'( i want ot build ROM Startup bin files),now, i got a whole bunch of
> > new
> > errors like below.
> >
> > To answer your query on what i used to configure:
> >    host=i686-pc-linux
> >    target=arm-elf
> >    prefix = /home/users/ecoscvs/tools
> >
> > The following info may be usefule for you;
> > xscale-elf-gcc --version = 3.0
> > xscale-elf-gcc -dumpmachine = arm-elf
> > gcc --version = 3.0
> > gcc -dumpmachine = i686-pc-linux-gnu
> >
> > Why am i getting these new errors/ does my path is bad?
> > And why did in the mixed up case of gcc and ld, binaries got built.
> >
> > ___Start____
> > redboot_net_io.o(.text+0xa00): undefined reference to `puts'
> > redboot_net_io.o(.text+0xa4c): undefined reference to `puts'
> > /home/users/redboot.ROM/install/lib/libtarget.a(io_flash_flash.o): In
> > function `flash_erase':
> > io_flash_flash.o(.text+0x2c8): undefined reference to `putchar'
> > io_flash_flash.o(.text+0x2e0): undefined reference to `putchar'
> > /home/users/redboot.ROM/install/lib/libtarget.a(io_flash_flash.o): In
> > function `flash_program'
> > ___End___
> >

> I've no clue about these - those functions are not used in normal eCos programs
> at all.

Oh he was trying to build eCos programs. In that case the problem is bound
to be that he is reusing the same build tree and configuration and just
expecting it to work.

In that case what Venkat needs to do is start over *in a new build
directory*. Including rerunning "ecosconfig new iq80310" or whatever it is
he wants to do now, and then editting the ecos.ecc to change
CYG_HAL_STARTUP to have a user_value of ROM.