Re: RedBoot: fis create can't find free space

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 06:24:42PM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> >     RedBoot> fis free
> >       0x050B0000 .. 0x05130000
> >       0x05230000 .. 0x053F0000
> >     RedBoot> fis create foo
> >     Can't locate 524288 bytes free in FLASH
> >     RedBoot>
> >
> > Firstly, according to "fis list" and "fis free" I've got almost
> > 2M of free space between 0x5230000 and 0x53f0000, but "fis
> > create" can't find 500K of free space.  Any ideas why?
>
> There is no positive relationship between 'fis free' and 'fis list'.
> The "free" command simply looks for erased blocks.

I see, but why would 'fis create' say it can't find 500k of free space when
'fis free' shows a free block that's almost 2M?  Does 'fis create' use a
different method than 'fis free' to determine what's unused?

> 'fis create' will gladly reuse existing flash space, but it must
> match in length.  If you need to recreate with a different size,
> you should delete and then create.

Yup. Doing 'fis create' with an existing image name is how I ended up with
orphaned flash blocks. I'm going to tell people to always delete. Someday
when I have some spare time, I'll modify the create command so it will
delete an existing file rather than orphan the used space.  But that's
pretty far down the list at the moment.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com