eCos and GPL (was : Re: Lucent WaveLAN PC card with EBD72xxx)

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:21:23 +0100
Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:

> Trenton Adams wrote:
> >
> > Linux code is under the GNU general public license is it not?
>
> Yes, but this conflicts with the RHEPL unfortunately.

I've not yet understood specifically where they conflict but anyway this
remind me of good question:

Why doesn't RedHat licence eCos also under GPL?

The reasoning behind RHEPL is to allow consummers not to publish their
application source code. But if we have both GPL and RHEPL, people would
have the choice of:

a) Developping their project under GPL (or compatible licence), and so
releasing all their source code and be able to use GPL code (such as
linux drivers, etc...)

b) Using eCos under RHEPL, like everybody does today (but without being
able to use GPL driver).

Has this ever been considered ?

Your does RedHat see this maybe as a threat to his customer-paid
developments activities around eCos? This could be if all of a sudden
people where considering to developpe everything under GPL...

(This coudl also add a lot of confusion I guess)

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>