Re: ROMRAM redboot

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Lunn <andrew.lunn@ascom.ch> writes:

> Hi folks
>
> has anyone tried making Redboot ROMRAM start?
>
> I want to get around the limitation that you cannot use Redboot and
> flash programming in the application. If you do, while the
> program/erase operation happens, the application can decide to jump
> into redboot, which is also in flash, and it all goes horibly wrong.

I've never tried ROMRAM start but to avoid the case where the application jumps
into RedBoot in FLASH, I'm using these config options to build the eCos kernel:

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_CTRLC_SUPPORT {
    user_value 0
};

so that mostly every virtual vectors point to code in RAM.

> Im doing this on the EBSA, and at the moment it dies when redboot
> starts. According to the LED sets in Vectors.S its go to cyg_user_start, but
> there is no activity on the serial port.

I also had to add the options below after upgrading eCos (in april I think)
otherwise printf() uses GDB O-packets by default which causes the node to freeze
until it receives a GDB acknowledge (which never came since I had nothing
connected to the serial port configured for debugging).

cdl_component CYGDBG_HAL_DIAG_TO_DEBUG_CHAN {
    user_value 0
};

Robin