Re: debug monitor advantages/disadvantages

Trenton Adams wrote:

> Anyone have a summary of the differences between the debuggers/monitors out
> there for use with eCos?  Is RedBoot the only one that will work with eCos?

Sometimes we co-operate with the ROM monitor that comes with an eval board,
e.g. PMON. Sometimes we use a GDB stub ROM because it is small and simple
and good enough to load, run and debug programs with GDB. We used to try to
use CygMon which had a CLI and various nifty features, as well as including
a GDB stub, if the target is not short of memory.

We're now standardizing on RedBoot, which also has a CLI, although it still
hasn't caught up with CygMon in many respects, but has overtaken it in
others such as flash programming. However, like CygMon, it cannot be used
on targets with small amounts of memory.

Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/