Strata Flash in RedBoot.

Hi,
In the code, for strataflash, in "strata.h", i have defined :
#define CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES    1 // number of devices across the databus
#define CYGNUM_FLASH_WIDTH      8   // number of bits in each device

even though i didn't understood this stuff, but when i changed flash_devices
to 2,
which is the case on my board, then the code died while computing the
checksum.
crc32, in the function load_flash_config/flash.c
But, when i make flash_devices 1, then it failed to recognise the flash and
came out
with an error 'Flash driver init failed'. I am not sure what is happening
here.
I saw an earlier post on this, and i want to understand this stuff in
detail.

Could you guys help me in understanding how redboot discovers,
configures and initializes flash memory. I have searched on internet,
but could not come up with any informative material.
I would like to read any doc/urls etc.

Thanks for your help,
Venkat N