RE: odd serial input bug in redboot 095308 20010607 on iP

On 08-Jun-2001 David Bliss wrote:
> I've just installed RedBoot 09:53:08 Jun 7 2001 on my iPaq HPC.  I'm having
> some trouble.
>
> When it's cold-started (battery switch turned on), it will
> output its banner to the serial console:
>
> +FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x51000000, 64 blocks of 0x00040000 bytes each.
> ... Waiting for network card: ..........No network interfaces found
>
> RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment - built 09:53:08, Jun  7 2001
>
> Platform: Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC (StrongARM 1110)
> Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, Red Hat, Inc.
>
> RAM: 0x00000000-0x01fc0000, 0x0001ff00-0x01f70000 available
> RedBoot>
>
> But it will not accept any input from the serial console, only from the
> keyboard.
>
> If I boot into Parrot (where the serial interface works flawlessly) and then
> boot RedBoot, it works.  If I warmboot after that (reset command) it works.
> But every time I cold boot, no serial input.
>
> Since running Parrot makes it work, I'm guessing that perhaps the UART
> initialization leaves something to be desired?
>
> Anyway, it's a pain, though not a showstopper, but someone more knowledgeable
> than I might want to take a look at it.
>
> I'm more than happy to offer remote login to the machine if anyone wants
> to look at its configuration.

I've never seen this and I _have_ put RedBoot on a number of iPAQ units.
Which is not to say, "I don't believe you".

What happens if you press the reset button (small indent on the bottom
of the unit)?

The most likely cause is that when powered on cold, on your unit, the keypad
or the touch screen are presenting some events.  This will be interpreted by
RedBoot as an attempt to use the keypad/touchscreen for input and activity
on the serial port will cease.  Remember that RedBoot tries to use any available
I/O device when first booted and then "settles" for the first one that actually
gets any input.

As an experiment, you could try installing a version which subverts this
behaviour.  We could also try to learn what's coming in from where (keypad
or touch screen) to see what's up here.