Re: odd serial input bug in redboot 095308 20010607 on iP

On 08-Jun-2001 David Bliss wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:19:45AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> Try uncompressing the file on the server (host) end.  Then try the load command
>>   RedBoot> load -r -b 0x20000 -m ym
>>   RedBoot> go 0x20040
>
> Hm.  It seems some overzealous web client decompressed this while downloading
> it.  Without bothering to change the extension or tell me about it of course.
> Naturally this confused the downloader.  It seems to work now after I
> recompressed it.  However, I get horrible screen glitches while uploading --
> looks like random blocks of the screen blitted to random other locations 15-20
> times per second.  (But only using load -d, not using load...)  Is this
> expected behaviour? :)

The screen flicker is a hardware problem.  Since RedBoot is executing from Flash,
certain patterns can saturate the memory bus which causes the LCD to flicker.

> Curioser and curiouser.  If I upload the compressed version with load -d, it
> complains of a CRC error.  If I upload the uncompressed version and go 0x20040,
> I get '$T050f:4c000200;0d:e4b80000;#79' and '$T050f:4c000200;0d:e4b80000;#79'

Yes, this is GDB telling you that the program dies at location 0x0024c00 which
as far as I can tell is somewhere in the NanoX initialization code.  You can see
more by disconnecting minicom/hyperterm and then connecting to the board via
GDB.
  arm-elf-gdb -nw
  (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0
  (gdb) info reg

Did you also load the eCos ROM FS and install it?  It may be the case that it
was scrogged as well.