Re: ARM Development with multi-ice from South Africa

Jason van Aardt wrote:
> THe problem seems to stem from the fact that the WEB page at Redhat
> about using ARM platforms with the MULTI-ICE is not accurate as it
> refers
> to a subdirectory in GDB called "multi-ice" that does not
> exist in any of the GDB's/ GNUPRO Tools /EDK's  that we have downloaded.
>
> We have ordered the GNUPRO tools, but are still awaiting their arrival,
> and we are not even sure that the server will be there either based on
> the posts in this mailing list.

It will not be in anything you can buy publically. This is due to licensing
issues with ARM due to the use of ARM copyrighted headers. Only an ARM
licensee can legally obtain these. Also ARM now sell Multi-ICE 2.0 which
uses a different protocol incompatible with that used by the
multi-ice-gdbserver. Given the legal issues, we've not tried resolving
that.

We have been promised a resolution on this from ARM for the last year and a
half at least without anything happening. At this stage I would suggest
either using an alternative (see below), contracting Red Hat to write an
unencumbered equivalent of multi-ice-gdbserver, or trying to write one
yourself.

> What are other engineers out there using to develop for ARM on?
> Are most of you using StrongARM's if so what ICE are you using and HOW?

Try searching the ecos-discuss mail archives for the Jeeni. Grant Edwards
has had success with that using the CVS version of GDB and Angel. Also I
believe the embeddedICE (precursor to the Multi-ICE) may be usable too, but
I'm not sure.

Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/