Re: Ethernet packets dropped

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 06:24:12AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> These messages indicate that data packets are arriving much
> faster than RedBoot can handle them.  The most likely cause is
> when RedBoot is waiting for a command, it only polls the device
> every 10ms (default).  If you have a very busy network and
> your physical device (SMSC/LAN91CXX) is capable of buffering
> a lot of packets, then this message can occur.

I've modified my version of RedBoot to poll the serial-ports
and ethernet interfaces continuously instead of sleeping
between polls.  If you'd like, I could summarize the changes
involved (they're not extensive).  It improved both network and
serial-port performance dramatically.

My version still ignores the network when in the "middle" of a
serial-port-received command line.  That wouldn't be hard to
change either, but in my application it doesn't do any harm.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com