gdb debug on ipaq

I make redboot running on ipaq, and on linux host
machine, I am tring to run thread0 in tests directory
on ipaq. I typed
#> arm-elf-gdb thread0
GNU gdb 5.0
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i586-pc-linux-gnu
--target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) target remote 192.168.1.20:9000
Remote debugging using 192.168.1.20:9000
0x50046f30 in ?? ()
(gdb) load
Start address 0x20040 , load size 29832
Transfer rate: 238656 bits in <1 sec, 298 bytes/write.
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
PASS:<Thread 0 OK>
EXIT:<done>

All the messages above are shown on the host machine,
nothing is showing on ipaq. Also, after the loading
of the program, the redboot stucks on ipaq, I cannot
input any character using stylus.

Another question is that I am trying to convert
redboot mode to gdb mode by typing "$" under
redboot prompt, however, it seems I cannot
type in the "$" character, though I can type in
any other character. I don't know why.

thanks a lot,

Weilong