Re: ARM Development with multi-ice from South Africa

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:07:08PM +0530, Rajeev murthy wrote:

> thanks for the reply. we found that multiICE is backward
> compatible with embeddedICE from this site
> http://www.kimstek.co.kr/new-h/tools/multi_ice.html.

I believe that when they say

 "Backward compatible with EmbeddedICE connectors via a supplied
  adaptor."

They mean that you can (with an adapter) use it with a 14-pin
JTAG header connector that was specified for the old
EmbeddedICE unit, since it includes "an adaptor to connect the
new 20-way JTAG connector to existing 14-way target connectors
and all required cables."

I don't think they mean that it is backward
compatible when it comes to the protocol used to talk to
debugger software on a host.

IOW, the interface between the MultiICE and the target ARM
board is backward compatible, not the interface between the
MultiICE and the host.

> but multiICE has a parallel port interface. is it possible to
> change the gdb sources to make it use a parallel port
> interface? if so , please give me some inputs.

It's certainly possible to change the gdb sources to use
nothing but a parallel port.  The existing code, however uses
the parallel port as a write-only device.  Commands and data
are written to the parallel port and the replies from the the
EmbeddedICE are read via the serial port.

Changing this would involve a fair bit of work.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com