RE: not able to connect to gdb with redboot

dear Gary,
    i tried out the commands you have stated , but once i say tar remote /dev/ttyS0 the gdb hangs, never to come back. what must be the problem?
    i then connected the gdb to a hyperterm to see what it was sending , but it would send nothing. is there any changes required in gdb to be used with redboot?
thanks a lot
rajeev
--

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 05:46:44
 Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 27-Jun-2001 Rajeev murthy wrote:
>> hello,
>>    i have redboot on my board (a proprietory one with a Samsung microcontroller with an  ARM
>> core). i understand that with redboot on my board i can get source level debugging by connecting
>> to GDB via redboot.
>>    i am just not able to get GDB connect to my board. i tried all these things
>> 1.target rdi /dev/ttyS0
>> 2.target remote /dev/ttyS0
>> 3.target rdp /dev/ttyS0
>>   what is the gdb looking for to connect ?
>>  i have set the baud rate to match my board's.
>>  is a serial connection with the host and the target board sufficient for gdb to connect with
>> redboot on the board ?
>>   when i type $g#67 , i get a display of the registers which means the gdb stubs are working.
>>  but i would prefer to debug with insight.
>> please let me know where i'm going wrong and
>> what i should do to connect to GDB?
>
>Use 'tar remote /dev/ttyS0' to connect via GDB.
>
>Make sure that you disconnect from RedBoot (shutdown your minicom or hyperterm),
>otherwise GDB will get confused.
>
>If it still doesn't work, try:
>  (gdb) set remotedebug 1
>  (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0