To:Sateesh Soman <sateesh_soman@rediffmail.com>
From:Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com>
Date:Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:17:06 +0100
CC:"ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com" <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with redboot.bin "No network interfaces found"

Sateesh Soman wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> 1. I have used Redboot.bin (which I downloaded few days back) to boot the floppy.
> I have now got a Intel 82559 NIC and booted the target. When I try to boot, I get the error:
> Can't get BOOTP info - network disabled!
>
> and I get the RedBoot> prompt.
>
> The problem is clear. I don't have a DHCP/BOOTP server with me. I want to give a static
> IP address for the target. Could you please tell me where I should change? I don't find
> any network configurtion or any place where I can give the IP address from the Configuration
> Tool. Please tell me which file needs to be modified.I can't use a TFTP server to download,
> since, the whole network is disabled. I can't ping too.

Actually there isn't. All that's needed though is to edit redboot/net/ip.c
and change the initializer for __local_ip_addr and then rebuild redboot. I
think I'll add a config option for this.

> I have tried various combinations of load command like
> 'load -v -m xMODEM'
> The output is
> "CCCCCCCCCC<<some ascii chars>>Can't load <<ascii>> file:Timed out."

If you are seeing this that implies your terminal program doesn't seem to
be sending anything via xmodem!

> 2. Now, I wanted to try with serial and I have built the stubs (gdb_module.bin and .img)

I would recommend building redboot instead, not stubs.

> myself for x86 target enabling the PC serial options

PC serial options? If you mean the PC serial driver, then that shouldn't be
enabled.

> and selected the O/P to be on the
> PC monitor.. made a bootable with the gdb_module.bin and booted the target. I get that
> 'magic number' on the target monitor again. Now when I try to connect to the target using
> serial and run the tests, I get a series of those 'magic numbers' for each test.

If you selected the output to be on the monitor, then you won't get it on
serial. What magic numbers do you mean?

Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

Buy Feng Shui Package for Rs. 151/- only, at http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/fengshui_mailer.htm