Driver Programming Style

Is it customary to define my own set of function that people can use in
card drivers for my PCMCIA controller driver?  Take for instance
functions that set appropriate registers and stuff like that.  Then they
wouldn't have to figure out all the technical details of the controller
in order to change things appropriately for their card.