PCMCIA Standard CIS access

>From what I understand, the card does not have to have power enabled in
order for me to read it's CIS.  Correct?  If so, does anyone know what
MIGHT be the problem with reading the CIS?  I keep getting a READ FAIL
interrupt when attempting to read the Card Information Structure.  Is
there maybe a standard reason in most PCMCIA controllers why this might
happen?  I doubt it! LOL