debugging with gdb

hi,
    i have redboot with Rom startup on my board. i also have an application for a rom startup. redboot sits from 0x4000 and my app starts from 0xe000.
   i'm able to connect to the gdb  through target remote /dev/ttyS0. now i need to tell gdb to start running my application and help me debug it.
   will the command file myapp enough for gdb to read the symbol tables or should i load it using the load command. when i say load gdb starts downloading , but the target doesnt respond . why should i download the elf image when i already have the binary on my board ?
  please tell me what am i missing.
thanks
rajeev

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!