Re: Limited RAM space, relocate code to flash

rob.wj.jansen@philips.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here is a nice puzzle.
>
> My target board, with an ARM derivative on it, has got limited RAM space
> but I do have about 32 Megs of flash.
>
> The application is using a fairly large library with decompression, FFT
> and other filtering algorithms - things I definitly will never change myself ...
>
> I guess that it is possible to place these libraries (approx. 600 kBytes) and
> maybe also parts of eCos (400 kBytes) could be placed into Flash as kind
> of ROM library.

Your entire application can be run from the FLASH if you like. But
presumably there's some reason why you don't want that? If you want to
arbitrarily assign functions to different bits of memory, it can be done by
either assigning those functions to specific sections using attributes, or
relying on -ffunction-sections to give you lists of the existing functions
(e.g. .text.main).

But this all gets complex quite quickly. It's the type of thing we could do
with a custom engineering contract. Contact ecos-info@redhat.com if you'd
be interested.

Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/