How to choose hardware template and execute program in Win98?

Dear Jonathan:

First of all, I appreciate very much your answers for the last questions.
In practicing eCos, I encounter one problem:

I installed eCos v1.31.and Cygwin in my host Win98.

1. Can I build my eCos kernel and develop and execute my application in my
host Win98 not in my embedded hardware platform because my embedded
hardware platform is not available. Before my platform is ready, I wish I
can run my program under my host PC.

2. If the answer to item-1 is yes, which hardware template should I choose?
As I know, my build tool in Cygwin is i686-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe. I can not
find appropriate hardware template for the build tool. It will cause the
build of eCos kernel to fail.

Would you give me the answers?

Many thanks in advance!!

Regards,