x86 - redboot - networking - how do they interconnect?

Hi!

I am porting some software from VxWorks over to eCos running on an x86 PC
platform and I am attempting to get my SNMP software started so I can check
on the device using a SNMP manager.

Now, I have booted the x86 with redboot and it comes up with BOOTP to get
the IP address 192.168.1.2. From my desktop machine, I can use GDB to
connect to that machine at 192.168.1.2:9000 and I download my application to
the machine (eCos x86 net configuration with SNMP and my code added).

So here are some of my questions...

(1) When redboot has come up, it has already initialized the Ethernet with
an IP address. When I type 'continue' to start the kernel and my
application, do I still have to do 'init_all_network_interfaces' to start
the networking code? I tried to do this and it rebooted my target machine.

(2) If I try to jumpstart SNMP with 'cyg_net_snmp_init()', and I check the
threads that are executing, I see that the snmpd thread has exited. Further
investigation shows that a return from init_master_agent() in snmpd.c is
failing, causing the code to exit. That seems to mean that I have a problem,
is it related to the network possibly not being ready or properly
initialized? (per #1)

I can't quite grasp the interface between redboot and the downloaded image
that I start executing. Is the network seamlessly integrated between them or
do I need to do some manual stitching?

Thanks for your insight!

Ron Kundla
nBand Communications, Inc.