Re: comment about header files

On 26-Jul-2001 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> there is also a lack of 'standard' (at least in my eyes) defines such as CLSIZE and
>> getdtablemax() for example.
>
> Well, AFAIK Linux doesn't even have those so I don't know how standard they
> are.

They aren't very standard at all - in fact they are very much Unix (BSD) legacy.

>> not that i'm going on but if anyone has time it would make eCos application developers lives
>> much easier if the
> header files were tidied up as well as helping further development.
>>
>> having a tangle of header files in code is stupid
>
> Agreed.

We all have to live within our means.  In this case, when we imported the
BSD networking code, the [initial] decision was to try and keep the code
as pristine as possible.  This decision was based on the hope/anticipation
of keeping up with the BSD networking as a separate, maintainable component
with influences from outside.  However, it also meant living with their
include files, however ugly.

If anyone wants to rewrite all of those headers, and validate the stack
afterwards, feel free to do so.  After all, this is open source :-)