Re: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> Since mine isn't working either, I figured I'd chime in.
>
>   > "Matthew M. DeLoera" wrote:
>   > >
>   > > Anyway, my current problem is with RedBoot. I built the x86
> version
>   > and
>   > > booted with the diskette. It seems to come up, and I see a RedBoot
>   > > prompt on my screen. I'm assuming that even though I can see it on
> the
>   > > local console, the local console isn't active, right? So, I have
>   > use
>   > > a serial port or network, right?
>   >
>   > Yes it should be active. Is it not?
>   >

> Nope, mine isn't active.
>
>   >
>   > On the console, what happens if you type "+$k#6b" (without the
> quotes).
>   >

> I assume you mean the local console.  If so, it does nothing for me.
>
> The redboot I'm using is the June 8th binary on the website, redboot.bin

Although I tested this binary before, I just retested it just to be sure
and it Works For Me(tm).

One possibility is that there is noise on the serial line. RedBoot listens
to all input channels, and as soon as it gets something on one, it uses
that from then on. So if it got a glitch on the serial line, it might
switch to that and stay there. How many serial ports does the machine have?

> p.s.
> I have the same problems as Matthew except I don't have a compatible
> network card in the machine.  I have an NE2000, but it's set to PNP mode
> at the moment.

If an i82559 card isn't detected it should still continue.