Re: i386 TARGET network programming

Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:20:11 +0100
> Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > there's an NE2000 driver [...] which we
> > couldn't incorporate for copyright reasons.
>
> How come?
>
> The webpage says that it come from OpenBLT, which according to their
> license seems compatible with eCos license. (it looks pretty much like a BSD
> license)

There is one key problem: it contains the (so-called) "advertising clause"
which BSD later removed. This is clause 2 in that licence. This would bind
everyone who uses the driver in a product. So while we are happy to
distribute it on our web site, we aren't happy to include it in the main
source distribution itself.

Although I haven't approached Brian Swetland about this to see if he would
be willing to waive this clause.