Re: Romboot in i386 (continued) - comms. problems

>> >It's the first stage in providing some way for a PC to directly boot
from
>> >ROM/Flash. It's not been made to work on any particular platform yet
>>
>> Is the thrust of this code attempting to boot the PC off an add-in BIOS
>> (e.g. at C800:0) or as a complete mainboard BIOS replacement to take over
>> at power-on?

>The latter. See romboot.S. But it's not been tested with a live platform so
>take it with a pinch of salt for now.

Hi - I've been taking a look at porting Redboot to at Arcom Merlin board
(25Mhz 386ex, 1Mb flash, 2Mb DRAM).

I'm happy enough with a modified romboot.S entering PM and jumping to
the Redboot code. I get the signons and can enter commands etc. etc.

However I'm getting a lot of funnies downloading images over a serial
link (they are the correct .srec format now, I think) and connecting with
GDB.

At the 38K4 baud default I seem to be dropping lots of chars. When I
go right down to 1200 I can do an Xmodem image download OK.

The i386 port seems to be using serial drivers in
~/ecos/packages/hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c

Looking at these serial drivers it seems to me that somebody has implemented
a polled mode schema on both Rx and Tx. Could somebody tell me if this is
correct ?

If so, then before I dive straight in and rewrite the code, is there any
reason
I shouldn't just use the 16x5x drivers already in eCos ?

TIA,

	Alex Lennon

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/