RE: semaphore bug??

Hi Folks,

> I don't think you can post to a semaphore from an ISR.  You'll
> have to run a DSR and do it there.  There's a table in the eCos
> Reference Manual (Device Driver Interface to the Kernel) that
> shows what functions may be called from an ISR.  About the only
> thing you can do is ack/mask/unmask interrupts and run a DSR.

This is correct, and I recall other postings to the list about this issue.
 It's obviously a fairly common misconception. I come from a pSOS
background, where it is possible to post a semaphore in an ISR, and I also
spent a bad week stumbling over this exact issue .

Could I suggest to the eCos team that an explicit statement of *exactly*
what can and cannot be done in an ISR be inserted into the "eCos Interrupt
Model" section of the Reference manual? I'm sure that this would help a lot
of newbies (like me) retain their sanity. :-)

And while I'm writing, I'd like to say that I think eCos is a great piece
of gear. Hats off to you guys.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Patch