RE: App works in RAM but not in flash memory

> Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some problem with my messages (cyg_mbox_*) in eCos
> and hope that some
> > of you maybe can give me a hint of what maight be wrong.
> Currently I am
> > running the entire application in RAM and it works fine.
> However, when i
> > download the program it into flash then it starts acting
> very strange. With
> > a trace enabled i can see that some (not all...) messages
> that are sent
> > between threads dont have any valid data in their header.
> Every message
> > contains of a header and the data that it contains is just
> garbage. The
> > first thing i check was that if some process sends an
> unfilled message but
> > that was not the case.
> >
> > What can be wrong when an application works fine in RAM but
> not in flash? I
> > have tried to set the clock to half the speed to give the
> flash more time to
> > fetch data but the error was still present.
> >
> > I am using a custom build AT91EB40 with external flash.
>
> Seems odd certainly. I can't imagine a situation where it
> would mostly but
> not completely work, in that way. If you had a support
> contract I could
> look more closely by trying it myself, but otherwise I don't
> have the time,
> sorry.
>
> Which situation are you talking about: is it built for "ROM"
> startup type
> and is running direct from Flash? Or is it built for RAM
> startup, and being
> loaded into RAM from flash using "fis load"?
>
> Jifl

I think i have located a few things that causes this error. I have had the
option "include gdb stub in HAL" marked and this is not a good combination
since they interfere with the rest of the code. When i disabled the above
options then I got less strange mbox messages. However, i still get a few
and i think that if i disable all the debug options (and GDB support) in
eCos then my app will run much better. However, I can't get all the debug
info to disaper. I have removed all the debug-flags in the makefiles, both
when building eCos and when building my application. I still get some "debug
info" and "debug lines" in my map-file on address 0x00. How can i remove all
such information?

Regards, Daniel