Re: gdb and binary core files

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:30:30AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> Im trying to do something along the lines of a core dump for eCos. I
> just want something realy simple. In my setup its easy for me to get a
> complete copy of the DRAM contents onto my host system. I then have to
> get gdb to use this data. By default arm-elf-gdb does not seem to
> support core files. Not a good start. Also, it does not seem possible
> to specify the format of the core file. You can use "set gnutarget" to
> set the BFD format, but that seems to apply to everything. I want gdb
> to use elf for my executable, and binary for my core file.

Sometime within the past couple years, somebody posted a patch
to the gdb mailing list that allowed you to dump a region of
memory to file (I don't remember the format, but I think it was
something understood by objcopy).

> Does anyone have any ideas or pointers?

It sure would be handy if gdb could dump chunks of memory to
disk.  Over the past couple years I've spent hours cutting and
pasting between xterms in order to run chunks of target memory
through post-mortem tools.

I'm sure it would have taken all of about half a day to add a
"dump-region" command to gdb and do it right.  One of these
days...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com