RE: ethernet download

On 24-Aug-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
> What about it?  It only allows you to download a ROM image once, and
> then it's wiped out of FLASH, no?  If I have to download redboot every
> time, it defeats the purpose a little bit because it might not save any
> time.

That's true - for the primary ROM image.  If you're looking for a faster
way to load big ROM images, rather than keeping RedBoot in place, you're
out of luck I'm sorry.

What is it that you want to have in ROM?  Will it fit alongside of RedBoot?
If so, you can keep RedBoot in there to help you download and manipulate
the FLASH (I hope it's FLASH!).  You can still execute from FLASH if you
wish, or use RedBoot commands to load & go from FLASH.

We do this sort of thing all the time with embedded Linux systems.  RedBoot
is kept for the purpose of system startup, download and FLASH management.
When the system starts, a RedBoot script is used to startup the Linux
kernel, etc.