Re: Serial overruns

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:

> Still, hardware flow control should prevent this. It looks like it's gotten
> broken since the PC target uses the generic 16550 serial driver (assuming
> you are using anonymous CVS, not 1.3.1), and that supports it.

What, even though it is the FIFO in the chip that is overflowing? I
thought the hardware flow control was activated by software when the
buffer in the serial driver reached the high watermark? If this is the
case, then hardware flow control won't help a bit...or can the UART
itself active flow control?

Incidentally, I tried an intermediate buffer in the ISR, and it didn't
make any difference, so I'm guessing the ISR is just not getting run
in time.

> This used to work. So if anyone has time to look at that, that would be
> good.

I'll have a look, see what I can come up with. It could well be
something else I've screwed up :), so I'll test it with a much
simpler application.

I'm using anonymous CVS, although not the very most recent version so
I'll do an update first.

Thanks,

Matt