Re: Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server

Note: please refrain from sending queries directly to eCos engineers.
Our policy is to try and provide timely responses to ecos-discuss.
Direct access is available only on a contractual basis.

On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:51, Richard Wicks wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2001 05:18 pm, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:08, Richard Wicks wrote:
> > > Eureka! (he said nakedly)
> > >
> > > I had my configuration wrong I believe (explanation at the bottom.)  I
> > > was adding CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS with ecosconfig and you do not want to
> > > do that. The "bug" I found wasn't - I was just using the wrong damn
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > I also discovered that you cannot call init_all_network_interfaces() from
> > > cyg_start.  There are also some other oddities that cause my code that I
> > > wrote under Linux to act strangely under eCos too, but I can work around
> > > that - I just need to study the example code provided.
> > >
> > > I thank you very much,
> > > -Rich
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------
> > > To anybody else using the XScale IQ80310 board, the following will build
> > > you a kernel that will work with the net component (BSD stack) code.
> > >
> > > Anything following a // is a comment and and/or is optional to do.
> > >
> > > ecosconfig new iq80310
> > > ecosconfig add net
> > > ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
> > > ecosconfig add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
> > > // CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM includes a device driver for an 82559 and it is
> > > //    included as part of the iq80310 package so it will tell you it's
> > > //    already included, at least it SHOULD
> > > //
> > > // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_CHATTER - user_value 1
> > > // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_NET_DHCP_CHATTER - user_value 1
> > > ecosconfig check
> > > ecosconfig tree
> >
> > Note: it is much more effective to simply use templates:
> >   % ecosconfig new iq80310 net
> >   % ecosconfig tree
> >
> > Using the template will get all of the appropriate packages pulled in
> > and enabled, automatically.
>
> You're right.  I would have done that if I knew such a template existed.

It's also not obvious, even to the most sage, that using a template
often has effects beyond the expected.  In this case, using the
template enables networking which in turn allows the networking drivers
to be enabled, etc.  It all happens rather magically.

> Admittedly I have nobody to blame but myself, but where is this in the
> documentation?  I know about templates, but how do you get a list of
> available templates for a particular target?  I don't see it in the ecos.db
> file.

Templates are not well documented, sorry.

For a list of templates, simply look at your repository:
  ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/templates
There is one sub-directory per template.

> I'm using Linux, I suppose that it's a drop down menu under windows?

Yes, it is.  Note: you _can_ use the GUI ConfigTool (version 2) on Linux
and then you'd see it on Linux as well :-)